Sunday, February 24, 2008

News: Feeding Fear?

After a hectic day I plumped down on my sofa to watch the news. Ten minutes of watching CNN got me feeling really dull. It prompted me to think about the kind of news I ended up watching. Most of the news I hear or read is about reports of violence, war, accidents and the like. In short news was about what went wrong in the world or some report which just frittered away my time (like someone commiting suicide).


Is the world around us so bad? Maybe or maybe not but subconsciously I was becoming more fearful, careful and probably pessimistic about the status quo of things around me. I am sure there are positive and hopeful events happening around me - news about how people's lives were touched in a hopeful way, an indigenous technology, the power of dreams and imaginations etc. Its just that I hardly get to know about them. I think its time for a change. TV channels and newspapers should start dedicating atleast a 15 minute prime time slot on the good things happening around us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey great thought...i too agree with u! Nowadays the news channel's have deteriorated so much, that ppl like me have stopped watching the news!

Weekend Warrior said...

I guess that if you look more closely, there are number of TV programmes & print-content that are educational, enriching, encouraging and motivating too. Because of the massive dramatization of certain events, it appears as though TV and newspapers are full of dark and disturbing content.